Over twenty years of experience building effective organizational communications and marketing strategies. Core competencies include:
- Strategic Integrated Marketing
- Project Management
- Brand Identity
- Community Affairs
- Social Media Strategy & Implementation
- Strategic Planning
- Targeted Public Relations
- Website Development & Management
- Print Production
- Writing & Editing
2013 – Present
Associate Director of News
Office of Communications
University of Pennsylvania
Promote the mission and brand of the University of Pennsylvania, a private Ivy League institution, and one of the largest research institutions in the United States. Manage a busy newsroom. Produce Penn News Today, a daily eNews service with 90,000 stakeholders across the University, with targeted weekly editions: Penn News for Parents and Penn News Weekly. Serve as the first line editor for all news releases and features for the University website and for distribution. Serve as the media liaison for the Office of the Executive Vice President representing areas such as endowment, tuition and real estate services.
2005 – October, 2012
Director of Communications
Moore College of Art & Design
Directed integrated marketing communications strategy for an independent visual arts college. Reporting to the president of the college, oversaw all communications, PR, public affairs and marketing across platforms including direct mail, advertising, print and electronic media. Participated in strategic planning process at executive, board and committee levels. Managed busy college communications department supporting all areas of the college including admissions, development, continuing education student services and galleries. Supervised talented team of two full-time and two part-time staff members.
- Developed and managed 300k budget.
- Delivered successful production of more than 70 print jobs and 100 electronic jobs each year.
- Drove targeted PR strategy with an average placement of 50 press impressions each month.
- Directed and implemented communications plan for presidential transition at Moore.
- Led successful college-wide rebranding campaign.
- Developed and implemented new social media strategy.
- Managed redesign and development of Moore website.
- Directed new website SEO strategy doubled traffic within 10 months of site launch.
- Developed and lead communications plan for successful $30 million capital campaign.
- Initiated bi-monthly HTML newsletter with tailored content for segmented audiences.
- Developed budget and marketing plan rolling out graduate program launch.
- Produced and implemented successful integrated marketing plan for 160th Anniversary year celebration.
- Co-wrote and managed production of college history, published by Arcadia Publishing.
- Developed budget and marketing rolling out graduate program launch.
- Introduced college style guide to strengthen Moore’s brand identity.
- Secured placement in The New York Times for gallery exhibition.
2002 – 2004
Director of Communications & Public Relations, Episcopal Community Services, Philadelphia, PA.
Oversaw agency communications, marketing, and PR with $200k budget and staff of three. Participated in strategic planning process at executive, board and committee level.
1995 – 2001
Public Relations Manager, Episcopal Community Services, Philadelphia, PA.
Managed PR, publications and media relations for large multi-program social service provider.
1992 – 1994
Coordinator of Communications, Risk Reduction Center, Philadelphia Heart Institute, Presbyterian Medical Center.
Promoted all aspects of the PHI’s preventive cardiac care facility including clinical, nutrition and fitness services, drug trials and patient education.
1991 – 1992
Continuing Medical Education Coordinator, Presbyterian Medical Center; Philadelphia, PA.
Associate to the Director of Continuing Medical Education. Helped initiate programs, procedures and policy. Coordinated logistics for courses; managed production of publications, mailings, and promotions and maintained accreditation through PA Medical Society.
1988 – 1991 Freelance Writer / Editor / Designer, Bowling Green, OH.
Full-time freelancer offering editorial services to clients including publishers, advertising agencies and academic institutions.
Assistant Event Director, Bowling Green State University, College of Music; Bowling Green, OH. Assisted the Director of New Music & Arts Festival. Prepared grants, organized selection process, maintained archives and coordinated festival publicity. Nine-month, grant-funded position.
1986 – 1987
Contributing Editor / In-House Art Director, Beacham Publishing; Washington, DC. Designed book covers, page layouts, and publicity materials for this specialty reference book publisher. Supervised all print production. Wrote and edited articles.
Philadelphia Design Award | AIGA | Graduate Studies Catalog. 2010
Three Gold ADDY Awards | Philadelphia Ad Club | Moore BFA Catalog | Best of Arts & Sciences category. 2008
Pepperpot Award: Second Place | PRSA Philadelphia Chapter | Single Piece Audio Visual Communications. 2004
National Telly Award | low-budget short documentary category. 1996.
Publications & Training:
Moore College of Art & Design, Campus History; Amanda Mott & Sharon Hoffman, Arcadia Publishing, 2008
Social Media & New Media PR Boot Camp, Public Relations Society of American, New York, NY, 2012
PRSA (Public Relations Society of America)
Board member, Hosts for Hospitals (2002 – 2015)
Judge, PRSA Best in Maryland Awards (2007)
Volunteer, Bartram’s Garden, completed pro-bono marketing plan (2004 – 2005)
Steering Committee, Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) National Philanthropy Day (2000 – 2003)
Smith College; Northampton, MA
BA degree, cum laude, (Margaret Mitchell Scholarship)
Central School of Art & Design; London, England
(Now Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design)
Independent Study of Photography under Geoffrey Ireland
Bowling Green State University; Bowling Green, OH
Independent Study in Photography and Photojournalism
School of Journalism and College of Technology
Windows and MAC platforms